The Catholic Telegraph-Register of November 11, 1949, reported:
“The strong link between farm and Church was stressed at Rural Life Sunday ceremonies in Queen of Peace mission, Millville, on the Feast of Christ the King. The annual celebration began with High Mass sung by Father Joseph V. Urbain, assisted by a choir from the Grailville school of apostolate at Loveland.
“Children of the parish took part in an Offertory procession, during which they carried to Father Urbain not only the bread and wine to be consecrated in the Mass but also fruits of the harvest to be blessed by the priest. To symbolize the relationship between agriculture and religion, the host was carried on a cushion surrounded by sheaves of wheat, and the wine by clusters of grapes.
“Decorating the entrance to the sanctuary was an arch surmounted by seven candles representing the sacraments and decorated with olives, balsam, grapes, and wheat. Garlands of wheat sheaves, autumn leaves, and bright flowers also adorned the Shrine of St. Isidore, patron of farmers, in the mission chapel. A relic of the saint was surrounded by lighted candles.
“In his sermon, Father Urbain emphasized the dignity of farm labor and the vocation of the farmer as a co-operator with the Creator. ‘For the most part, stalwart Catholicism has been the product of the double labor of the man of the soil and the rural missionary,’ he said. ‘Their common task has brought religion and agriculture closer together and has caused the farm laborer to associate himself perpetually with the ministry of the Church. Thus the association of the farmer and the priest is most intimately expressed by the Catholic agriculturist who harvests his wheat and puts it into the hands of the priest to become the Body of Christ in the Holy Sacrifice.’ ”